Project Management App
Senior Managers usually have bi weekly meetings with the reporting managers to receive the status updates but they can be very busy because of the various new prospective clients/projects to meet with the managers for status update meetings. So, to get a bird’s eye perspective of the various projects and to know if they are facing any issues and to make sure all the projects are running smoothly and efficiently on time they would need to see high level information about the projects on the go.
To design an app/dashboard that helps the senior management to monitor the status of different projects and to prompt them to take necessary actions if needed.
This is a Design Challenge I received in late 2017. I’m expected to handle all phases of the design and produce a couple of hi fidelity screens at the end of 2 days and with some rationale for my design decisions.
To understand the problem a little better, I started with dissecting the problem and making some assumptions as needed.
How do they received the status updates before the app?
• Senior Managers used to have a bi weekly meetings with the reporting managers to receive the status updates. (assumption)
Why do we need an app/dashboard for senior management?
• Senior Managers have become very busy because of the various new prospective clients/projects to meet with the managers for status update meetings.(assumption)
• To get a bird’s eye understanding of the various projects and to know if they are facing any issues.
• To make sure all the projects are running smoothly and efficiently on time.
How specific can the information be when we present it to the Senior Management?
• Even though a senior manager is tech savvy, they don't have enough time to delve deep into a particular issue and solve it. This is one of the reasons they have managers proficient in a specific area reporting to them.
• They would need high level information about the projects.
To present the data about different projects, I needed information about the hierarchy in the organization to better understand the level of information to present to the senior management. So, I took the company’s org-chart as a reference and made an assumption that the organizational structure is as follows
Now that I have a good understanding of the problem, I want to gather information about the user. So, I made a persona. and along with those two, i created a user flow that a Sr. manager might take to look at a project.
Once I have a good solution in place, I moved on to sketching and making the hi fidelity mockups. Ideally, i would test the designs with the users and get their feedback but in this scenario, i didnot have enough time to do that.
Outcomes & Learnings
• I submitted the design challenge with in 2 days as mentioned in the initial problem.
• I believe this was a good exercise because, They offered me a job after this exercise.
• I had to make a lot of assumptions which would be common in most of the design challenges but It would have been nice if I could’ve asked someone to play the role of the user and role play the scenario so we can emphatise better with the user.
• I used XD to make the hi fidelity designs. I learned that its a very good and easy tool to use especially if you are in a hurry. Coming from Illustrator, this was a really good change.
Like what you see? Wanna contact me?
© 2019-2020 All rights reserved - Rakesh Arvapalli